Sunday, July 15, 2012

Ignorance Is Bliss

The problem with that phrase is, it's true.  If you don't know, you can't worry.  If you don't know,you wouldn't know when you messed up.  If you don't know, you can sleep at night.

Through necessity , due to my heart condition, I have had to make adjustments in my diet.  Not that I really ate that badly before.  I ate fried foods maybe twice a month, sweets were not on the top of my food list, and my portions were not extra large.  I love fresh vegetables and fresh meats.  As a professional Chef, I create a lot of my meals from scratch.  I did need to begin concentrating on my sodium and fat levels and watching "cheating" with prepackaged foods when time was short.   So, I begin to read labels and research ingredients in food.  It is mind boggling the amount of artificial ingredients there are in prepackaged foods.  You have to watch what a label says on the front as well as the back.  Something that says "low fat" may be loaded with extra sugar or sodium.  Something that says "low sodium",  may have excess fats.  Why?  Because the food manufacturers replace what they have taken out, with something else that would be satisfying to the palette.

Another huge concern is what is fed and injected into beef and milk products.  At this point, I still need to do a lot more reading and research before I get too much into detail.  But preliminary findings have scared the hell out of me!  Growth hormones are fed to cattle to increase the size and shorten the time needed before going to market. Some milk cows are given a different growth hormone to increase their milk production.  Residues of these hormones may or may not follow that meat or milk into the grocer's case, and therefore, into my own body as I consume it. 

When it comes to other meats: chicken, pork...., they are inundated with antibiotics, .  The demand for larger, leaner meats in a shorter production time has made it acceptable in the meat industry for these additives to be used.  Antibiotics not only keep an animal healthy, but some can increase the growth rate in younger animals.  I see no problem with animals being inoculated when young to keep them healthy, but there is no reason to continue just to have them gain weight faster.  Oh wait...yes there is.  It's that extra money the big corporations need so the company executives can buy another house or fancy car.

I wish I had an acre or two of land to call my own.  I could raise my own food.