Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tiny Orbs of Yumm-e!

In my desire to find different varieties of tomatoes, I came across a packet of a mixed variety of cherry tomatoes in my local hardware store.  Boy did that bring out the little kid in me!  I flash forwarded to a summer of beautiful tomato plants full of tiny orbs to fill my salad bowl. That is if they even make it into the house.  I have a habit of just popping them in my mouth right off the vine.  Last year I grew Yellow Pear tomatoes and would recommend them to anyone who likes tomatoes.  The grew like crazy and just three plants kept me happy all summer. 

Now this new pack of seeds contained seven varieties of cherry tomatoes and they were color coded so you knew which seed was from each variety.  The variates were Sundrop, Gold Nugget, Brown Cherry, Sweetie, Green Grape, Super Snow White, and Bicolor Cherry.

I started my little lovelies indoors, right on my desk where I could look at them each day.  I used an egg carton and used the shells as the "pots".  Growth was excellent and I put them outside in a sheltered place to "harden" them.  Unfortunately,  they got wind burned and I lost half of them.  The varieties that survived were Snow White, Gold Nugget and the Brown Cherry.  They are all delicious.  I also grew the Yellow Pear again this year and they have not let me down.  It is nice to be able to add sliced tomatoes to a meal right out of my own garden.