Friday, January 15, 2010

It's Cold Here

I moved to the coastal area of North Carolina about 12 years ago now, searching for warm and sunny, lazy beach days. I lived in the northern part for Virginia in the mountains, where in the winter, it got cold. Well the cold is creeping southward. For the past three weeks, we have been experiencing lower than normal frigid temperatures. They have ranged anywhere from 25 to 38 degrees on average.

Venturing out on a windy day late last week, I came home with some interesting pictures of ice forming over the causeway leading from the barrier island to the little island I live on.

This is a photo of ice formations on the grass along the waters edge of the causeway.



This is a shot of the rocks lining the road that are covered with ice.



I thought it was so interesting that the water froze in a miniature of wave action.


Today was one of the first warm days since the temperature drop.  I think it got all the way up to 48 degrees.  Tomorrow will be warm also and then its back to scarves and gloves again. :-)